Sneha G. Nair, Vikram R. Jadhav
Sneha G. Nair1, Vikram R. Jadhav2
1Department of Microbiology, K.K. Wagh ACS and CS College K. Nagar, Ranwad-422308, Nashik (M.S.), India.
2Department of Chemistry, K.K. Wagh ACS College Pimpalgaon Baswant - 422209, Nashik (M.S.), India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2020
This study examines the antifungal properties of an ethanolic extracts and silver nanoparticles obtained from leaf, stem and blossom of an Ixora coccinea plants that grow spontaneously in the Nashik, Maharashtra and several other regions in India. The properties of these plants in controlling fungal species that belongs to Malassezia furfur were evaluated in an in vitro measure and diffusion Methods. Fresh parts of leaf, stem and blossom of plant species were collected for the preparation of ethanolic extracts and to synthesize silver nanoparticle. The results of this study revealed that the Silver nanoparticles are more effective for the Malassezia furfur growth inhibition as compared with the ethanolic plant extract. In particular, leaf and blossom region of this plant is more effective as compared to stem against Malassezia furfur, The phytochemical characterization of the ethanolic extracts has revealed that the presence of some chemical compounds such as flavonoids, tannins, Coumarin, Anthocyanin, Terpenoid, Alkaloid, Phenol, Saponin, Anthraquinone and Amino acid is likely to be responsible for the antifungal activities. The antifungal properties of this make these plants of potential interest for the control of fungi affecting the human body parts and other ecosystems.
Cite this article:
Sneha G. Nair, Vikram R. Jadhav. Biosynthesis of Silver nanoparticles and comparing its Antifungal property with Ethanolic extract of Ixora coccinea plant. Asian J. Research Chem. 2020; 13(3): 198-202. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2020.00038.3
Sneha G. Nair, Vikram R. Jadhav. Biosynthesis of Silver nanoparticles and comparing its Antifungal property with Ethanolic extract of Ixora coccinea plant. Asian J. Research Chem. 2020; 13(3): 198-202. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2020.00038.3 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-3-8
1. Bose S., Maji S., Chakraborty P. Quercitrin from Ixora coccinea leaves and its Anti-oxidant activity. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2013; 2: pp. 72 - 74.
2. Dontha S., Kamurthy and H. Mantripragada B. Phyto chemical and pharmacological profile of ixora: a review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2015; 7: pp- 567-584.
3. H. Sumathy, J. and Sangeetha, K. Vijayalakshmi. Chromatographic fingerprint analysis of Ixora coccinea methanolic flower extract. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2011; Vol. 3: pp. 327-330.
4. Kumar S. R., Balasubramanian, P. Govindaraj and P. Krishnaveni T. Preliminary studies on phytochemicals and antimicrobial activity of solvent extracts of Coriandrum sativum L. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2014; Vol. 2: pp.74-78.
5. Latha L.Y., Darah L., Jain and K, Sasidharan S. Pharmacological screening of methanolic extract of Ixora spp., Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2012; Vol. 2: pp. 149-151.
6. Majid M. et. al. Studies on phytochemical, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of Euphorbia d. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015; p.1-15.
7. Naga Padma P., Anuradha K. and Divya K. Comparison of potency of antifungal action of dandruff shampoo and different plant extract, International Journal of Medical Research and Health Sciences. 2015; Vol. 4: pp.327-331.
8. Poornima Shyam P. and Suresh P.K. Comparative analysis of three leaf extracts of ixora coccinea Linn. for their protective and anti- oxidant potentials and correlation with analytical data. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 2015; Vol. 4: pp. 937 – 949.
9. S. G. Nair et. al., Ixora coccinea: Study of Phytochemical Parameters and Antioxidant Activity. Int. J. Inn. Res. Sci. Eng. and Tech. 2018; Vol. 07 (8): pp-14.
10. Sabiha Sumbul, M., Aftab Ahmad, M., Asif, Mohd Akhtar, and Ibne Saud. Physicochemical and phytochemical standardization of berries of Myrtus communis Linn. Journal of Pharmacology and Bio-allied Science. 2012; Vol. 4: pp.322.
11. SG Nair, VR Jadhav, SS Bakare. A Remedy against dandruff causing Malassezia furfur using Ixora coccinea: A cost Effective Herbal Approach. Int J Ayu Pharm Chem. 2018; Vol. 09 (02): pp-271-282.
12. Samidha Kamtekar S., Keer V., and Patil V. Estimation of Phenolic content, Flavonoid content, Antioxidant and Alpha amylase Inhibitory Activity of Marketed Polyherbal Formulation. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2014; Vol. 4 (09): pp. 61.
13. Sarika K.M., Aparajita V., Bindu R. Soosamma M. Herbal extracts and their antifungal activity against Malassezia furfur. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Science. 2013; Vol No.4: pp 969-974.
14. Selvaraj N., Lakshmanan B., Mazumder P. M., Karuppasamy M., Jena S.S., Pattnaik A. K. Evaluation of wound healing and antimicrobial potentials of Ixora coccinea, root extract. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2011; pp. 959-963.
15. S. A. Soni et. al., Effect of Copper Substitution, Calcination Temperature, and Photo-sensitizers on Photocatalytic Activity of Cu0. 05 Zn0. 95O. Journal of Chemistry, Environmental Sciences and its Applications. 2018; Vol. 5 (1): pp 1-9.
16. Singh M., Kaur M., Dangi CBS, Singh H. Phytochemical and TLC profile of Lawsonia inermis (Heena). International Journal for Pharmaceutical Research Scholars. 2014; Vo.3: pp.624 - 634.
17. Sumbul S., Ahmad A. M., Asif M., Akhtar M., Saud I. Physicochemical and phytochemical standardization of berries of Myrtus communis Linn. Journal of Pharmacy and Bio Allied Science. 2012; Vol. 4: pp.322-326.
18. Summera Rafiq, Ahemad Nisha, S.K. Jasmin Shahina. Isolation and Characterization of the fungi from Dandruff-Afflicted human scalp and evaluation of Anti-Dandruff shampoo. 2015; Vol. 4.
19. Tailor C. S., Goyal A. Antioxidant activity by DPPH radical scavenging method of Ageratum comyzoides Linn leaves, American Journal of Ethnomedicine. 2014; Vol.1: pp. 244-249.
20. Vikram R. Jadhav. Mathematical treatment to understanding the concentration terms. International Journal of Research & Review. 2019; Vol.6 (1): pp- 172-175.
21. S. M. Yedurkar et. al., A Biological Approach for the Synthesis of Copper Oxide Nanoparticles by Ixora coccinea Leaf Extract. JMES, 2017, 8 (4), pp. 1173- 1178.