Avishek Saha, Sanjay Roy
Avishek Saha1,2, Sanjay Roy2*
1Department of Chemistry, Sri Krishna College, Bagula, Nadia, Pin- 741502, West Bengal, India.
2Department of Chemistry, School of Sciences, Netaji Subhas Open University, Kalyani- 741235, Nadia, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
Today we all take care very much about environment because it degrades day by day for several reasons; one of them is the accumulation of heavy metals which are one of the intrinsic components of this environment. The excessive accumulation of heavy metals affects all sides’ viz. air, soil, water of our beautiful environment through their adverse impacts. There are too many sources open till now for helping them to enter into the environment. This paper shows how they enter together and affects food chain, plant growth, seed germination, photosynthesis and so many. Excess accumulation of both types of heavy metals viz. essential (Zn, Cu, Fe etc) and non-essential (Pb, Hg, As etc) are responsible for disturbance of both aquatic as well as non-aquatic environment parallelly. Human beings also face slow but steady affect either direct or indirect way. So, we try to reflect how toxic level of heavy metals contamination poses a serious threat to our living environment.
Cite this article:
Avishek Saha, Sanjay Roy. Harmful Effects of Different Classes of Heavy Metals in Our Beautiful Environment. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2023; 16(1):13-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00003
Avishek Saha, Sanjay Roy. Harmful Effects of Different Classes of Heavy Metals in Our Beautiful Environment. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2023; 16(1):13-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00003 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-1-3
1. Hawkes JS (1997) Heavy Metals. J Chem Edu74:1369-1374.
2. Singh Sankhla, M. Kumar, R.Prasad, variation of chromium concentration in Yamuna River (Delhi) Water due to change in temperature and humidity. Seybold Report 2020, 15, 293-299.
3. C. Thangavelu, P. Patric Raymond, S. Rajendran, M. Sundaravadivelu. Influence of Chloride Ion on the Corrosion Inhibition Efficiency of the ATMP - Zn 2+ System. Asian J. Research Chem. 4(3): March 2011; Page 402-405.
4. Ashok B. Patel, Avadhi R. Bundheliya, Amitkumar J. Vyas, Nilesh K. Patel, Ajay I. Patel, Arvind N. Lumbhani. A Review on Metal Impurities in Pharmaceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(3):212-2.
5. Stewart C; Johnston D.M; Leonard G.S; Horwell C.J; Thordarson T; Cronin S.J. Contamination of water supplies by volcanic ashfall: a literature review and simple impact modelling. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal research 2006, 158, 296-306, http://doi.org/10.1007/s10311-010-0297-8.
6. Hazards V, A Sourcebook on the effect of Eruptions. 1984
7. Afzal M.S, Ashraf A; Nabeel M. Characterization of industrial effluents and groundwater of Hattar industrial estate, Haripur. Advances in Agriculture and Environmental Science: Open Access 2018, 1, 7077, https://doi.org/10.30881/aaeoa.00013.
8. Sreekala . S, H. Mary Helen. Studies on the Heavy Metal Content of Coastal Waters Adjacent to Kadiyapattanam Estuary, South West Coast of India. Asian J. Research Chem. 2016; 9(10):479-484.
9. Edokpayi J; Odiyo J; Durowoju O. Impact of Wastewater on Surface Water Quality in Developing Countries: ACase Study of South Africa. Water quality 2017, 401-416. https://doi.org/10.5772/66561.
10. Swaroop S Sonone; Swapnali Jadhav; Mahipal Singh Sankhla; Rajeev Kumar. Water Contamination by Heavy Metals and their Toxic Effect on Aquaculture and Human Health through Food Chain. Volume 10, issue 2, 2021,2148-2166. https://doi.org/10.33263/LIANBS102.21482166.
11. Azuka A.I. The influx of used electronics into Africa: a perilous trend. Law Env’t and Dev. J. 2009,5.
12. Mateo-Sagasta J; Zahed S.M; Turral H; Burke J. Water Pollution from agriculture: a global review. Excecutive summary. Rome, Italy: FAO Colombo, Sri Lanka: International Water Management Institute (IWMI). CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystem (WLE), 2017.
13. Hinojosa M.B, Carreira J.A, Ruiz R.G, and Dick R.P, Soil moisture pre-treatment effects on enzyme activities as indicator of heavy metal contaminated and reclaimed soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 36, 1559-1568(2004).
14. Yao H, Xu j, and Huang C, Substrate utilization pattern, biomass and activity of microbial communities in a sequence of heavy metal polluted paddy soils. Geoderma, 115, 139-148 (2003).
15. Chen G.Q, Chen Y, Zeng G.M, Zhang J.C, Chen Y.N, Wang L, and Zhang W.J. Speciation of cadmium and changes in Bacterial Communities in Red Soil Following Application of Cadmium Polluted Compost. Environmental Engineering Science, 27 (12), 1019-1026 (2010).
16. Karaca A, Cetin, S.C, Turgay O.C, Kizilkaya R, Effects of Heavy Metals on Soil Enzyme Activities. In: I. Sheramati and A. Varma (Ed), Soil Heavy Metals, Soil Biology, Heidelberg 19, pp 237-265 (2010).
17. Afsan S, Ali S, Ameen U, Farid M, Bharwana S, Hannan F, Ahmed R. Effect of Different Heavy Metal Pollution on Fish. Research Journal of Chemical and Environmental Sciences 2014, 2, 74-79.
18. Lobinski R, Moulin C, and Ortega R. Imaging and speciation of trace elements in biological environment Biochimie, 2006, 88(11), 1591-1604, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2006.10.003
19. Szarek-Gwiazda, E. Heavy metal contents in stone loach Noemacheilus barbatulus(L.) ( Cobitidae) living in the river above and below dam reservoir (Dobczyce Reservior, southern Poland). Polish Journal of Ecology 1999, 47, 145-152.
20. Ellenberger S.A, Baumann P.C, May T.W. Evaluation of Effects Caused By High Copper Concentrations in Torch Lake, Michigan, On Reproduction of yellow Perch. Journal of Great Lakes Research 1994, 47, 145-147.
21. Miller P.A, Munkittrick K.R, Dixon D.G. Relationship between Concentrations of Copper andZinc in Water, Sediment, Benthic Invertebrates and Tissues of White Sucker (Catostomus commersoni) at Metal Contaminated Sites. Canadin Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 1992, 49, 978-984, https://doi.org/10.1139/f92-109.
22. Pelgrom S.M.G.j, Lammers L.P.M, Lock R.A.C, Balm P.H.M, Bonga S.E.W. Interactions between copper and cadmium modify metal organ distribution in mature tilapa, Oreochromis mossambicus. Environmental Pollution 1995, 90, 415-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/0269-7491(95)00022-J.
23. Allen P. Accumulation profiles of lead and cadmium in the edible tissues of Orechromis aureus during acute exposure. Journal of Fish Biology 1995,47, 559-568. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.10958649.1995.tb01922.x.
24. Perry D.M, Weis J.S, Weis p. Cytogenic effects of methylmercury in embroys of the killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus. Achieves of environmental contamination and toxicology 1988, 17, 569-574. https://doi,org/10.1007/BF01055824.
25. Moumita Sinha, Jayanta Datta, Naba Kumar Mondal. Agricultural Soil Contaminated by Heavy Metals Exposed by the Byproducts of Durgapur Thermal Power Station, Durgapur, W.B. Asian J. Research Chem. 5(6): June, 2012; Page 742-747.
26. Laxmi Shukla, Namrata Jain. A Review on Soil Heavy metals Contamination: Effects, Sources and Remedies. Asian J. Research Chem. 2020; 13(4):299-304.
27. Yao Z, Li J, Xie H, Yu C. Review on remediation technologies of soil contaminated by heavy metals. Procedia Environ Sci 2012; 16: 722-9.
28. Zhou DM, Hao XZ, Xue Y, et al. Advances in remediation technologies of contaminated soils. Ecol Environ Sci 2012, 16, 722-9.
29. Green Chemistry, 2018. Page 359-373. Chapter 3.10 – Heavy metal pollution and remediation. Abhishek Roy Chowdhury, Rupali datta, Dibyendu Sarkar.
30. Finzgar N, Kos b, Lestan D. Bioavailability and mobility of Pb after soil treatment with different remediation methods. Plants soil environment 2006; 52(1) :25-34.
31. Avishek Saha, Kalachand Mahali, Sanjay Roy. A Review on Environmental Friendly Gasoline Substituent: Bio-ethanol. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(1):97-5.
32. Lombi E, Zhao FJ, Zhang G, et al. In situ fixation of metal in soils using bauxite residue: chemical assessment. Environ Pollut 2002, 118(3): 435-43.
33. Safa W. Azize. Study of Heavy Metals and their effects on Oxidant / Antioxidant Status in Workers of fuel Station in Hilla city-Iraq. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(1): 312-316.
34. Sadiq Kadhum. Lafta. Al-Zurfi, Ali Yaser Alisaw, Gehan Ahmmed Aflog Al-Shafai. Bioaccumulation of Some Heavy Metals by the Aquatic Plant Lemnagibba in Vitro. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(10): 4229-4236.