Simple sensitive and accurate ion pair complex formation with reactive dyes, extractive spectrophotometric methods have developed for the estimation of favipiravir in pharmaceutical dosage form. The methods are based on the formation of ion paired coloured complexes by the drug with reactive dyes like Congo red, eriochrome black T and methyl orange in acidic medium. The ion associated complexes were formed and quantitatively extracted under the experimental condition in chloroform. The absorbance values were measured at 490 nm, 500 nm, and 430 nm respectively. The proposed methods were validated statistically. Recoveries of methods were carried out by standard addition method. The linearity was found to be 5.0-30.0 µg/ml, 5 -12 µg/ml, and 2-20 µg/ml for methods respectively. The low values of standard deviation and percentage RSD indicate high precision of methods. Hence these methods are useful for routine estimation of favipiravir in pharmaceutical dosages.
Cite this article:
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. . Application of reactive dyes in Validation of favipiravir from pharmaceutical dosages. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2023; 16(1):27-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00005
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. . Application of reactive dyes in Validation of favipiravir from pharmaceutical dosages. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2023; 16(1):27-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00005 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-1-5
1. Sohrabi, C., Alsafi, Z.;O’Neill, N.; Khan, M.; Kerwan, A.; Al-Jabir, A.;et al. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Int. J. Surg., 76;2020:, 71–76.
2. Zhu, R. F.; Gao, R. I.; Robert, S. H.; Gao, J. P.; Yang, S. G.; Zhu, C. Systematic review of the registered clinical trials of coronavirus diseases 2019 (COVID-19), J. Transl. Med. 18; 2020: 274–279.
3. Prajapat, M.; Sarma, P.; Shekhar, N.; Avti, P.; Sinha, S.; Kaur, H.; et al. Drug targets for corona virus: A systematic review. Indian J.Pharm. 52(1); 2020: 56–63.
4. Dong, L.; Hu, S.; Gao, J. Discovering drugs to treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Drug Discov. Ther. 14(1);2020: 58–60.
5. De Clercq, E. New nucleoside analogues for the treatment of hemorrhagic fever virus infections. Chem.–Asian Journal. 14(22);2019: 3962–3968.
6. Delang, L.; Abdelnabi, R.; Neyts, J. Favipiravir as a potential countermeasure against neglected and emerging RNA viruses. Antiviral Research. 153;2018: 85–94.
7. Chen, C.; Huang, J.; Cheng, Z.; Wu, J.; Chen, S.; Zhang, Y.; et al. Favipiravir versus arbidol for COVID-19: A randomized clinical trial, medRxiv. 3; 2020: 17–20.
8. Ibrahim Bulduk, HPLC-UV method for quantification of favipiravir in pharmaceutical Formulations, Acta Chromatographica 2020:1-7 DOI: 10.1556/1326.2020.00828.
9. R. Suzuki, Y. Osaka, Quantitative Analysis of Favipiravir Spiked in Plasma Using by HPLC, Shimadzu excellence in science, application news no L 570, http://www.shimadzu.com/about/trademarks/index.html.
10. China patent. A kind of Favipiravir has the HPLC assay method of related substance. 21.09.2016. (CN104914185B)
11. China patent HPLC method for measuring related substances in Favipiravir. 16.09.2015. (CN104914185A).
12. Journal.pntd.0005389 Thi Huyen Tram Nguyen and et.al. Favipiravir pharmacokinetics in Ebola-Infected patients of the JIKI trial reveals concentrations lower than targeted, 23; 2017: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0005389.
13. Rele Rajan V. Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Determination of favipiravir from pharmaceutical dosage form By Extractive ion pair complex colorimetric method. Asian J. Research Chem 14(5); 2021:321-323. DOI: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00054.
14. Rele Rajan V. Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Simple Extractive Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian J. Research Chem. 15(4); 2022):299-302. DOI: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00053.
15. Rele Rajan V. Tiwatane Prathamesh A Validated Potentiometric Titration Method for Quantitative Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Preparation. Asian J. Research Chem.15(1);2022):49-51. DOI: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00007.