The aim of this study was to develop a simple and suitable analytical method for determination of tropicamide and hydroxyamphetamine in ophthalmic preparations. A fast, sensitive, and reliable RP-HPLC method involving cyber lab HPLC System with UV detection was developed and validated for the determination and quantification of Tropicamide, an antimuscarinic agent used as eye drops for refractive examinations and Hydroxyamphetamine. Chromatography was performed on the Inertsil -ODS C18 (250 x 4.6mm, 5µ) column using filtered and mixed Degassed Methanol: Buffer (75:25) as a mobile phase with a flow rate of 1.0ml/min and an effluent of 257nm. Retention times for Tropicamide 3.047min, and Hydroxyamphetamine 4.313. The method was found to be linear (r2> 0.999) in the range of 20-80 µg/ml for the drug candidates selected.
Cite this article:
Devadasu Ch, Sravya G. Determination of Tropicamide and Hydroxyamphetamine in Opthalmic formulations by RP-HPLC and its Validation. Asian J. Research Chem. 2021; 14(1):13-22. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2021.00003.1
Devadasu Ch, Sravya G. Determination of Tropicamide and Hydroxyamphetamine in Opthalmic formulations by RP-HPLC and its Validation. Asian J. Research Chem. 2021; 14(1):13-22. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2021.00003.1 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-3
1. Hardman JG, Limbird LE, Molinoff PB, Ruddon RW. The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Goodman and Gilman's, Mc Graw-Hill, New York, 1996; 9th ed: pp. 1635.
2. Galmier MJ, Frasey AM, Meski S, Beyssac E, Petit1 J, Aiache JM, Lartigue1 C. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of phenylephrine and tropicamide in human aqueous humor. Biomedical Chromatography. 2000; 14: 202–204.
3. Massoud Amanlou, Gholamreza Asmardi, Pedram Andalibi, Nahid Javadi, Farank Khodadady, Zinat Bahrampour Omarny. Determination of tropicamide in pharmaceutical formulations using high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A. 2005; 1088: 136–139.
4. Zdzisława Stefanowicz, Jacek Stefanowicz, Karolina Mulas. Determination of tropicamide and its major impurity in raw material by the HPLC-DAD analysis and identification of this impurity using the off-line HPLC–FT-IR coupling. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2009; 49: 214–220.
5. Yajnesh P, Mubeen G, Ritu Vivek K, Lalitha N, Krishnasis C. Development and validation of rp-hplc method for simultaneous estimation of hydroxyamphetamine hydrobromide and tropicamide in ophthalmic formulation. European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 4(1): 373-377.
6. Pratik Patel, Ankit B Chaudhary. Development and validation of analytical method for simultaneous estimation of hydroxyamphetamineHydrobromide and tropicamide. Pharma Science Monitor. 2017; 8(4):79-90.
7. Effat Souri, Massoud Amanlou, Shiva Shahbazi, Mitra Bayat. Development and Validation of a Rapid Derivative Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of Tropicamide in Eye Drops Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Summer. 2010; 6(3): 171-178.
8. Jain PS, Jamdade AA, Bari PR, Surana SJ. Estimation of Tropicamide In Bulk and Eye Drop Dosage Form Using Area Under Curve Method. Journal of Pharmaceutical and BioSciences. 2015; 4: 73 -76.
9. International Conference on Harmonization, Q2 (R1), Harmonised tripartite guidelines, Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology, Geneva, November, 2005.