Kanhaya Lal, Garima Prajapat, Uma Rathore, Bhojak N.
Email ID Not Available
Kanhaya Lal, Garima Prajapat, Uma Rathore, Bhojak N.*
GCRC, P.G. Department of Chemistry, Govt. Dungar College (NAAC ‘A’ Grade), MGS University, Bikaner 334001, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2021
Wide ranges of low cost adsorbents were used to remove hazardous metal in aqueous solution and wastewater. The low cost adsorbents were usually collected from agricultural waste, seafood waste, food waste, industrial by-product and soil. These adsorbents are readily available in a copious amount. Some of the natural adsorbents appeared as good heavy metal removal, while some were not and require further modifications and improvements to enhance the adsorption capacity. Currently, heavy metals exist in most of the industrial wastewaters and water supplies are among the most severe environmental contaminants. Numerous research works have been conducted in this field, this review includes few potential solution containing papers.
Cite this article:
Kanhaya Lal, Garima Prajapat, Uma Rathore, Bhojak N. Adsorbents for Removal of Hazardous Metals from waste water and natural water samples: A Review. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(6):471-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00082
Kanhaya Lal, Garima Prajapat, Uma Rathore, Bhojak N. Adsorbents for Removal of Hazardous Metals from waste water and natural water samples: A Review. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(6):471-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00082 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-6-15
1. Rebone P. Mohubedu, Paul N. E. Diagboya, Cyprian Y. Abasi, Ezekiel D. Dikio and Fanyana Mtunzi (2019). Magnetic valorization of biomass and biochar of a typical plant nuisance for toxic metals contaminated water treatment, Journal of Cleaner Production Vol. 209, pp. 1016-1024.
2. ElSayed ElBastamy ElSayed (2018). Natural diatomite as an effective adsorbent for heavy metals in water and wastewater treatment (a batch study), Water Science Vol. 32(1), pp. 32-43.
3. Naeimeh Enayatizamir, Jing Liu, Li Wang, Xiuying Lin and Pengcheng Fu (2020). Coupling Laccase production from Trametes pubescence with heavy metal removal for Economic Waste Water Treatment, Journal of Water Process Engineering Vol. 37, No. 101357.
4. N Gakkhar, A Bhatia and N Bhojak (2015). Comparative study on physiochemical properties of various milk samples, International Journal of Recent Scientific Research Vol. 6 (6), pp. 4436-4439.
5. BS Garg, N Bhojak, P Dwivedi and V Kumar (1999). Copper (II) complexes of acid amide derivatives of 2-aminopyridineand an exogenous ligand, Transition Metal Chemistry Vol. 24 (4), pp. 463-466.
6. N Bhojak, DD Gudasaria, N Khiwani amd R Jain (2007). Microwave assisted synthesis spectral and antibacterial investigations on complexes of Mn (II) with amide containing ligands, E-Journal of Chemistry Vol. 4 (2), pp. 232-237.
7. Yongbo Dan, Lei Xu, Zhimin Qiang, Huiyu Dong and Honglan Shi (2021). Preparation of green biosorbent using rice hull to preconcentrate, remove and recover heavy metal and other metal elements from water, Chemosphere Vol. 262, No. 127940.
8. Naveen Chandra Joshi (2018). Biosorption: A green approach for heavy metal removal from water and waste waters, Research Journal of life Sciences, Bioinformatics, Pharmaceuticals and Chemical Science Vol. 4(1), pp. 59.
9. Mohammad Hossein Salmani, Mohammad Hassan Ehrampoush, Hadi Eslami and Bahar Eftekhar (2020). Synthesis, characterization and application of mesoporous silica in removal of cobalt ions from contaminated water, Groundwater for Sustainable Development Vol. 11, No. 100425.
10. Mary Lidiya Mathew, Akhil Gopalakrishnan, Usha K.Aravind and Charuvila T.Aravindakumar (2019). Low – cost multilayered green fiber for the treatment of textile industry waste water, Journal of Hazardous Materials Vol. 365, pp. 297-305.
11. Daisy Das and Barun Kumar Nandi (2020). Simultaneous removal of fluoride and Fe (II) ions from drinking water by electrocoagulation, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering Vol. 8, No. 103643.
12. Fan Zhu, Yu-Ming Zheng, Bao-Gang Zhang and Yun-Rong Dai (2021). A critical review on the electrospun nanofibrous membranes for the adsorption of heavy metals in water treatment, Journal of Hazardous Materials Vol. 401, No. 123608.
13. Kan Li, Jing-jing Li, Ni Zhao, Bin Di and Ying Ma (2020). Synthesis, crystal structures and properties of five novel coordination polymers and application in removing heavy metals from water, Inorganica Chimica Acta Vol. 507, No. 119598.
14. Samina Naz, Tahir Rasheed, Dilshad Hussain and Batool Fatima (2020). Polyvinylpropyllidone decorated manganese ferrite based cues for the efficient removal of heavy metals ions from waste water, Physica B: Condensed Matter Vol. 599, No. 412559.
15. Manli Li, Zhihao Ji, Guodong Sheng, Shaodong Zhou and Kaikai Chang (2021). Scavenging mechanism of rare earth metal ions in water by graphene oxide, Journal of Molecular Liquids Vol. 322, No. 114940.
16. Farhad Ahmadijokani, Shima Tajahmadi, Addie Bahi andHossein Molavi (2021). Ethylenediamine-functionalized Zr-based MOF for efficient removal of heavy metal ions from water, Chemosphere Vol. 264, No. 128466.
17. Zihui Song, Xueqi Chen, Xinchao Gong, Xing Gao andQian Dai (2020). Luminescent carbon quantum dots/nanofibrillated cellulose composite aerogel for monitoring adsorption of heavy metal ions in water,Optical Materials Vol. 100, No. 109642.
18. Leandro S.Queiroz, Luiz K.C.de Souza, Kelly Taise C.Thomaz andErika TallytaLeite Lima (2020). Activated carbon obtained from amazonian biomass tailings (acai seed): Modification, characterization, and use for removal of metal ions from water, Journal of Environmental Management Vol. 270, No. 110868.
19. Maryam Hasanpour and Mohammad Hatami (2020). Application of three dimensional porous aerogels as adsorbent for removal of heavy metal ions from water/wastewater: A review study, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science Vol. 284, No. 102247.
20. Khalid S.Hashim, Andy Shaw, Rafid Al Khaddar, PatrykKot andAhmed Al-Shamma (2021). Water purification from metal ions in the presence of organic matter using electromagnetic radiation-assisted treatment, Journal of Cleaner Production Vol. 280, No. 124427.
21. Surya Pratap Goutam andGaurav Saxena (2021). Biogenic nanoparticles for removal of heavy metals and organic pollutants from water and wastewater: advances, challenges, and future prospects,Bioremediation for Environmental Sustainability,Toxicity, Mechanisms of Contaminants Degradation, Detoxification, and Challenges, pp. 623-636.
22. Samrah Kamal, Mohd Khalid, M.Shahnawaz Khan, M.Shahid andMo.Ashafaq (2020). Synthesis, characterization and DFT studies of water stable Cd(II) metal–organic clusters with better adsorption property towards the organic pollutant in waste water,Inorganica Chimica Acta Vol. 512, No. 119872.
23. Lesley Joseph, Byung-Moon Jun, Joseph R.V.Flora, Chang Min Park andYeomin Yoon (2019). Removal of heavy metals from water sources in the developing world using low-cost materials: A review, Chemosphere Vol. 229, pp. 142-159.
24. Shafaqat Ali, Ghulam Shabir, Muhammad Siddique andMuhammad Rizwan (2020).Comparing the performance of four macrophytes in bacterial assisted floating treatment wetlands for the removal of trace metals (Fe, Mn, Ni, Pb, and Cr) from polluted river water, Chemosphere Vol. 243, No. 125353.
25. Kazeem O.Sulaiman, Muhammad Sajid andKhalid Alhooshani (2020). Application of porous membrane bag enclosed alkaline treated Y-Zeolite for removal of heavy metal ions from water, Microchemical Journal Vol. 152, No. 104289.
26. Chao-Zhi Zhang, Hui Sheng, Yan-Xiao Su andJian-Qiang Xu (2019). An efficient and health-friendly adsorbent N-[4-morpholinecarboximidamidoyl] Carboximidamidoylmethylated polyphenylene sulfide for removing heavy metal ions from water, Journal of Molecular Liquids Vol. 296, No. 111860.
27. Dejene Assefa Anito, Tian-Xiong Wang, Zhi-Wei Liu andXuesong Ding (2020). Iminodiacetic acid-functionalized porous polymer for removal of toxic metal ions from water, Journal of Hazardous Materials Vol. 400, No. 123188.
28. Vijay Bahadur Yadav, Ranu Gadi andSippy Kalra (2019). Clay based nanocomposites for removal of heavy metals from water: A review, Journal of Environmental Management Vol. 232, pp. 803-817.
29. Mohammad Nahid Siddiqui, Imran Ali, Mohd.Asim andBasheer Chanbasha (2020). Quick removal of nickel metal ions in water using asphalt-based porous carbon, Journal of Molecular Liquids Vol. 308, No. 113078.
30. Gaowa Xing, M. Razwan Sardar, Binxin Lin andJin-Ming Lin (2019). Analysis of trace metals in water samples using NOBIAS chelate resins by HPLC and ICP-MS, Talanta Vol. 204, pp. 50-56.
31. Hyeong Yeol Choi, Jong Hyuk Bae, Yohei Hasegawa, Sol An andIck Soo Kim (2020).Thiol-functionalized cellulose nanofiber membranes for the effective adsorption of heavy metal ions in water, Carbohydrate Polymers Vol. 234, No. 115881.
32. Paola Grenni, Anna Barra Caracciolo, Livia Mariani, Martina Cardoni, Cristina Riccucci, Hannan Elhaes andMedhat A.Ibrahim(2019).Effectiveness of a new green technology for metal removal from contaminated water, Microchemical Journal Vol. 147, pp. 1010-1020.
33. Malak Wehbe, Belal J.Abu Tarboush, Mutasem Shehadeh andMohammad Ahmad (2020). Molecular dynamics simulations of the removal of lead(II) from water using the UiO-66 metal-organic framework, Chemical Engineering Science Vol. 214, No. 115396.
34. S.M.Hosseini, H.Alibakhshi, E.Jashni, F.Parvizian, J.N.Shen, M.Taheri, M.Ebrahimi and N.Rafiei(2020). A novel layer-by-layer heterogeneous cation exchange membrane for heavy metal ions removal from water, Journal of Hazardous Materials Vol. 381, No. 120884.
35. Guangji Hu, Anber Rana, Haroon R.Mian, Sana Saleem andMadjid Mohseni (2020). Human health risk-based life cycle assessment of drinking water treatment for heavy metal(loids) removal, Journal of Cleaner Production Vol. 267, No. 121980.
36. Kuan Cheng, Yi-nan Wu, Bingru Zhang andFengting Li (2020). New insights into the removal of antimony from water using an iron-based metal-organic framework: Adsorption behaviors and mechanisms, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects Vol. 602, 125054.
37. S.Selvam, K.Jesuraja, S.Venkatramanan andPriyadarsi D.Roy (2021). Hazardous microplastic characteristics and its role as a vector of heavy metal in groundwater and surface water of coastal south India, Journal of Hazardous Materials Vol. 402, No. 123786.
38. M.Zabihi, A.Ahmadpour andA. Haghighi Asl (2009). Removal of mercury from water by carbonaceous sorbents derived from walnut shell, Journal of Hazardous Materials Vol. 167, pp. 230-236.
39. Dimitrios Georgouvelas, Hani Nasser Abdelhamid, JingLi,Aji P.Mathew andUlrica Edlund (2021). All-cellulose functional membranes for water treatment: Adsorption of metal ions and catalytic decolorization of dyes, Carbohydrate Polymers Vol. 264, No. 118044.
40. Farzaneh Ziaee, Mohammad Ziaee andMojtaba Taseidifar (2021).Synthesis and application of a green surfactant for the treatment of water containing PFAS/ hazardous metal ions, Journal of Hazardous Materials Vol. 407, No. 124800.
41. Dilek Gumus and Fatih Gumus (2019).The use of a wetland plant as a new biosorbent for treatment of water contaminated with heavy metals: Nonlinear analyses, modification, competitive effects, Environmental Technology & Innovation Vol. 16, No. 100483.
42. ElSayed and ElBastamy (2018).Natural diatomite as an effective adsorbent for heavy metals in water and wastewater treatment (a batch study), Water Science Vol. 32(1), pp. 32-43.
43. Sabolc Pap, Tatjana Solevic Knudsen, Jelena Radonic, Snezana Maletic, Sasa M. Igic and Maja Turk Sekulic (2017).Utilization of fruit processing industry waste as green activated carbon for the treatment of heavy metals and chlorophenols contaminated water, Journal of Cleaner Production Vol. 162, pp. 958-972.
44. Yi Wai Chiang, Karel GhyselbrechtandRafael M.Santos (2012).Adsorption of multi-heavy metals onto water treatment residuals: Sorption capacities and applications, Chemical Engineering Journal Vol. 200–202, pp. 405-415.
45. Suhyun Lee, Lakshmi Prasanna Lingamdinne andJae-KyuYang (2021).Potential electromagnetic column treatment of heavy metal contaminated water using porous Gd2O3-doped graphene oxide nanocomposite: Characterization and surface interaction mechanisms, Journal of Water Process Engineering Vol. 41, No. 102083.
46. Jingwen Pan , Baoyu Gao , Siyuan Wang , Kangying Guo , Xing Xu and Qinyan Yue (2020).Waste-to-resources: Green preparation of magnetic biogas residues-based biochar for effective heavy metal removals, Science of The Total Environment Vol. 737, No. 140283.
47. S.S. Krishnan, A. Cancilla and R.E. Jervis (1988).Waste water treatment for heavy metal toxins using plant and hair as adsorbents, Science of The Total Environment Vol. 68, pp. 267-273.
48. Xianyi Sun, Eduardo Schott and Wenhai Chu (2021).Exploring UiO-66(Zr) frameworks as nanotraps for highly efficient removal of EDTA-complexed heavy metals from wate, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering Vol. 9(1), 104932.
49. Xiaofeng Shi, Xianmin Mai, Renbo Wei, Yong Ma, Nithesh Naik, Yanjun Chen, Chao Wang, Binbin Dong, Zhenfeng He andZhanhu Guo(2021).Removing Pb2+ and As(V) from polluted water by highly reusable Fe-Mg metal-organic complex adsorbent, Powder Technology Vol. 383, pp. 104-114.
50. Akshatha R. Nadig, Nagaraj S. Naik andMahesh Padaki (2021).Impact of graphitic carbon nitride nanosheets in mixed- matrix membranes for removal of heavy metals from water, Journal of Water Process Engineering Vol. 41, No. 102026.
51. Wasudeo B. Gurnule, Kiran Vajpai andAmoli D. Belsare(2021).Selective removal of toxic metal ions from waste water using polymeric resin and its composite, Materialstoday:PROCEEDINGS Vol. 36(3), pp. 642-648.
52. Roozbeh Soltani, Rasool Pelalak, Mahboubeh Pishnamazi, Azam Marjani and Saeed Shirazian (2021).A water-stable functionalized NiCo-LDH/MOF nanocomposite: green synthesis, characterization, and its environmental application for heavy metals adsorption, Arabian Journal of Chemistry Vol. 14, No. 103052.
53. Yingjun Wang, Yequn Liu, Shuangyou Bao, Yongsheng Yu, Jiaming Li, Weiwei Yang, Shichong Xu and Haibo Li (2021).Aminated metal-free red phosphorus nanosheets for adsorption and photocatalytic reduction of Cr(VI) from water, Separation and Purification Technology Vol. 274, No. 118968.
54. Shruti Mishra, Arun K. Singh andJayant K. Singh (2020).Ferrous sulfide and carboxyl-functionalized ferroferric oxide incorporated PVDF-based nanocomposite membranes for simultaneous removal of highly toxic heavy-metal ions from industrial ground water, Journal of Membrane Science Vol. 593, No. 117422.
55. Mahnaz Nozohour Yazdi, Shayessteh Dadfarnia and Ali Mohammad Haji Shabani (2021).Synthesis of stable S- functionalized metal-organic framework using MoS42- and its application for selective and efficient removal of toxic heavy metal ions in wastewater treatment, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering Vol. 9(1), No. 104696.
56. Tommaso Mecca, Martina Ussia, Daniele Caretti, Francesca Cunsolo, Sandro Dattilo, Stefano Scurti, Vittorio Privitera and Sabrina C Carroccio (2020).N-methyl-D-glucamine based cryogels as reusable sponges to enhance heavy metals removal from water, Chemical Engineering Journal Vol. 399, No. 125753.
57. Yanqiu Wang, Lu Chen, Zhenye Xu, Chengjie Yi, Zhaoxiang Zhong, Shengui Ju and Weihong Xing (2020).A novel ultralight 3D-Mn(OH)4 porous material for heavy metal ions removal from water, Separation and Purification Technology Vol. 238, No. 116426.
58. Mohamed E. Mahmoud, Azza E.H. Abdou andMostafa E. Sobhy (2017).Solid–solid crosslinking of carboxymethyl cellulose nanolayer on titanium oxide nanoparticles as a novel biocomposite for efficient removal of toxic heavy metals from water, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules Vol. 105, pp. 1269-1278.
59. Mingxin Guo, Guannan Qiu andWeiping Song (2010).Poultry litter-based activated carbon for removing heavy metal ions in water,Waste Management Vol. 30, pp. 308-315.
60. Zhe Wang, Keyan Tan andJingyi Cai (2019).Silica oxide encapsulated natural zeolite for high efficiency removal of low concentration heavy metals in water, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects Vol. 561, pp. 388-394.
61. Adrielli C.P. Silva, Alexandre O. Jorgetto andMarcos H.P.Wondracek (2018). Properties, characteristics and application of grinded Malpighia emarginata seeds in the removal of toxic metals from water, Groundwater for Sustainable Development Vol. 6, pp. 50-56.
62. Vikas Dhiman andNeha Kondal (2021).ZnO Nanoadsorbents: A potent material for removal of heavy metal ions from wastewater, Colloid and Interface Science Communications Vol. 41, No. 100380.
63. Thifany Justo Santos, Douglas Henrique Pereira , Adao Marcos Ferreira Costa andSilvio Quintinode Aguiar Filho(2021).Theoretical insights about the possibility of removing Pb2+ and Hg2+ metal ions using adsorptive processes and matrices of carboxymethyl diethylaminoethyl cellulose and cellulose nitrate biopolymers, Journal of Molecular Liquids Vol. 331, No. 115730.
64. Ta Hong Duc, Tran Khac Vu, Cu-Trung Dang,Van Hoang Nguyen,D. Duc La,Gyu Man Kim andS. Woong Chang (2021). Synthesis and application of hydrogel calcium alginate microparticles as a biomaterial to remove heavy metals from aqueous media, Environmental Technology & Innovation Vol. 22, No. 101400.
65. Akshay ModiandJayesh Bellare (2020). Zeolitic imidazolate framework-67/carboxylated graphene oxide nanosheets incorporated polyethersulfone hollow fiber membranes for removal of toxic heavy metals from contaminated water, Separation and Purification Technology Vol. 249, No. 117160.
66. Mohamed E. Mahmoud, Mohamed M. Saleh, Mohamed M. Zaki andGehan M. Nabil (2020).A sustainable nanocomposite for removal of heavy metals from water based on crosslinked sodium alginate with iron oxide waste material from steel industry, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering Vol. 8(4), No. 104015.
67. Tingting Xia, Liangliang Yin, Yuhan Xie andYanqin Ji(2020).Efficiently remove of Cs(I) by metals hexacyanoferrate modified magnetic Fe3O4-chitosan nanoparticles, Chemical Physics Letters Vol. 746, No. 137293.
68. Ali Masjedi, Elham Askarizadeh andSahar Baniyaghoob(2020).Magnetic nanoparticles surface-modified with tridentate ligands for removal of heavy metal ions from water, Materials Chemistry and Physics Vol. 249, No. 122917.
69. Yanhao Zhang, Yuchen Wang, Wanli CuI, Xiangyang Zhang, Shengrui Wang andZhibin Zhang (2021).Removing copper and cadmium from water and sediment by magnetic microspheres - MnFe2O4/chitosan prepared by waste shrimp shells, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering Vol. 9(1),No. 104647.
70. M. Sharma, M. Poddar, Y. Gupta, S. Nigam, D. K. Avasthi, R. Adelung andR. Abolhassani (2020).Solar light assisted degradation of dyes and adsorption of heavy metal ions from water by CuO–ZnO tetrapodal hybrid nanocomposite, Materialstoday CHEMISTRY Vol. 17, No. 100336.
71. Pei-Ying Lin, Hao-Ming Wu, Shu-Ling Hsieh, Jun-Sian Li, Chengdi Dong andChiu-Wen Chen (2020).Preparation of vaterite calcium carbonate granules from discarded oyster shells as an adsorbent for heavy metal ions removal, Chemosphere Vol. 254, No. 126903.
72. Oludoyin Adeseun Adigun,Vincent Olukayode Oninla, N.A. Adesola Babarinde, K.O. Oyedotun and Ncholu Manyala (2020).Characterization of sugarcane leaf-biomass and investigation of its efficiency in removing Nickel(II), Chromium(III) and Cobalt(II) ions from polluted water, Surfaces and Interfaces Vol. 20,No. 100621
73. Fan Zhang, Bin Wang, Pan Jie, Jiangwei Zhu andFulong Cheng (2021).Preparation of chitosan/lignosulfonate for effectively removing Pb(II) in water, Polymer Vol. 228, No. 123878.
74. Xin Huang, Li Wang, Jiabo Zhang, Xiaojing Du, Shijia Wu andHongxin Wang (2020).A novel ε-polylysine-modified microcrystalline cellulose based antibacterial hydrogel for removal of heavy metal, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules Vol. 163, pp.1915-1925.
75. Zhanhua Huang, Qinglin Wu, Shouxin Liu, Tian Liu and Bin Zhang (2013). A novel biodegradable β-cyclodextrin-based hydrogel for the removal of heavy metal ions, Carbohydrate Polymers Vol. 97, pp.496-501.
76. Qi Yun, Jiang Meng, Cui Yuan-Lu, Zhao Lin and Zhou Xia (2015). Synthesis of Quercetin Loaded Nanoparticles Based on Alginate for Pb(II) Adsorption in Aqueous Solution, Nanoscale Research Letters Vol. 10, No. 408.