Khaled Mansouri, Naima Hellali, Oumelkheir Rahim, Ahmed Tabchouche
Khaled Mansouri1*, Naima Hellali2, Oumelkheir Rahim3, Ahmed Tabchouche4
1Lab. Mathematics and Applied Science, Ghardaïa University BP 455 Ghardaïa, Algeria.
2Faculty of Sciences and Technology, Department of Process Engineering, Ghardaïa University, BP 455 47000 Ghardaïa, Algeria.
3Electrochemical Laboratory, Chemistry Department, Faculty of Mathematics and Matter Sciences University Kasdi Merbah, Ouargla 30000, Algeria.
4Lab. Dynamic Interactions and Reactivity of Systems, Process Engineering Department.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
In this work, we study the inhibitory efficacy of organometallic compounds (phosphonium salts) used as an inhibitor on the corrosion of carbon steel XC70. The compound is (methoxy methyl) triphenyl phosphonium chloride (MMTP Cl). The study was performed in a 0.5M H2SO4 media. The measurements were performed by three electrochemical methods: electrochemical impedance spectroscopy potentiodynamic polarization and gravimeter method. One of the most widely used methods of protecting metals against corrosion is the use of inhibitors. They act by adsorption on the metal surface. The effectiveness of the corrosion inhibitor has been evaluated by several methods; polarization technique (Tafel line); electrochemical impedance and mass loss spectroscopy (immersion test) in acidic media. The results have allowed us to deduce the steel corrosion rate as well as other electrochemical parameters. The overall results show that the compounds (MMTP Cl) was chemically adsorbed on the steel surface. And in this case, adsorption occurs on the surface of the metal, according to the Langmuir modelin 0.5M H2SO4 solution. And the best concentration that decreasing the corrosion rate and gives inhibitory efficacy is 1ppm (R = 74.19%). A Comparative electrochemical study with that reported in the literature revealed that the efficiency of the inhibitors follows the order: 1-butyl triphenyl phosphonium chloride> (chloromethyl) triphenyl phosphonium chloride (CTP)>tetraphenyl phosphonium chloride (TP)>triphenyl phosphine oxide (TPO) > triphenyl (phenyl methyl) phosphonium chloride (TPM). It was also reported in the literature that the efficiency of halide inhibitors follows the order: I-> Br->Cl->F-.
Cite this article:
Khaled Mansouri, Naima Hellali, Oumelkheir Rahim, Ahmed Tabchouche. Electrochemical and gravimeter study on corrosion inhibition by (methoxymethyl) triphenylphosphonium chloride in acid media H2SO4 0.5M. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(1):1-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00001
Khaled Mansouri, Naima Hellali, Oumelkheir Rahim, Ahmed Tabchouche. Electrochemical and gravimeter study on corrosion inhibition by (methoxymethyl) triphenylphosphonium chloride in acid media H2SO4 0.5M. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(1):1-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00001 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-1-1
1. Vasantha Jothi R, Maheshwari P, Saratha R, Senthil Vadivu D. A study on Inhibitive action of Bauhinia racemosa Lam. Extract as Green Corrosion inhibitor for Mild steel in Hydrochloric acid medium. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(5): 611-615.
2. Agrawal R, Namboodhiri TKG. The inhibition of sulphuric acid corrosion of 410 stainless steel by thioureas. Corrosion Science. 1990; 30 (1): 37–52.
3. Quraishi MA, Ahmad S, Ansari MA. Inhibition of Steel Corrosion by Some New Triazole Derivatives in Boiling Hy-drochloric Acid, British Corrosion journal. 1997; 32 (4), 297-300 .
4. Kertit S, Hammouti B. Corrosion inhibition of iron in 1M HCl by 1-phenyl-5-mercapto-1,2,3,4-tetrazole. Applied Surface Science. 1996; 93(1): 59-66.
5. Zucchi F, Trabanelli G, Fonsati M. Tetrazole derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for copper in chloride solutions .Corrosion Science. 1996; 38(11): 2019-2029.
6. Kertit S, Hammouti B, Taleb M, Brighli M. Peptidic compounds as corrosion inhibitors of iron in acid chloride solution. Bull. Electrochem. 1997; 13 (6): 241-244.
7. Fatiha C, Noureddine B, Mokhtar S, Amira O, Adel T, Souhila B, Hanane L, Abdellatif M, Noura M. Effects of Temperature on Microstructure and Corrosion behavior of API N80 Carbon Steel . Asian J. Research Chem. 2021; 14(1):61-66.
8. Quraishi MA. Thioamidines A novel class of corrosion inhibitors. British corrosion Journal. 1999;34: 220-24.
9. Bentiss F, Bouanis M, Mernari B, Traisnel M, Lagrenee M. Effect of iodide ions on corrosion inhibition of mild steel by 3,5-bis(4-methylthiophenyl)-4H-1,2,4-triazole in sulfuric acid solution. Journal Of Applied Electrochemistry. 2002; 32 (6): 671-678
10. Benmessaoud Left D, Zertoubi M, Irhzo A, Azzi M. Revue:Huiles et Extraits de plantes comme inhibiteurs de corrosion pour différentsmétaux et alliages dans le milieu acidechlorhydrique.(Review: oils and extracts plants as corrosion inhibitors for different metals and alloys in hydrochloric acid medium). Journal of Materials and Environmental Science. 2013; 4 (6) :855-866.
11. Idenyi NE, Nwofe PA, Idu HK. Influence of Moringa Oleifera and Psiduim Quajava Leaves Extract on the Corrosion Susceptibility of Mild Steel in an Alkaline Medium , Journal Of Applied Sciences Research. 2015; 11(22): 158-163.
12. Lamoureux JJ. Précis de corrosion. 2e édition Editions MASSON, Laval (Québec) : Beauchemin ; Paris : Masson, (Impr. au Canada) Mention d'édition . 1994.
13. Thangavelu C, Patric Raymond P, Rajendran S, Sundaravadivelu M. Influence of Chloride Ion on the Corrosion Inhibition Efficiency of the ATMP - Zn 2+ System. Asian J. Research Chem. 4(3): 2011; 4(3): 402-405
14. Kelly R G, Scully J R, Shoesmith D, Buchheit R G. Electrochemical Techniques in Corrosion Science and Engineering. New York :Marcel Dekker Inc. 2003.
15. Deepa T, Thangavelu C, Sekar M, Sudhakaran R. Corrosion Inhibition of Carbon Steel in RO water Using Trisodium Citrate - Zn2+ System. Asian J. Research Chem.2015; 8(10): 613-617.
16. Arockiasamy P, Thenmozhi G, Jaya Santhi R. Evaluation of Corrosion Resistance of Electroless Ni-P/Ni-W-P Double Layer Coatings on 6061 Aluminium Alloy. Asian J. Research Chem.2014; 7(6): 551-557.
17. Perumal S, Sayee Kannan R, Muthumanickam S, Elangovan A, Muniyappan N. Comparative study of green corrosion inhibition effect on mild steel in different acid medium by Laburnum waterier Vossiileaves extract. Asian J. Research Chem. 2018; 11(2):253-261.
18. Gyorik GL, Mészros G, Lengyel B, Lendvay G. Electrochemical and quantum chemical studies on the formation of protective films by alkynols on iron. Corrosion Science. 2003; 45(8):1685-1702.
19. Subha R, Saratha R. Corrosion Inhibition and Adsorption Properties of African marigold for the Corrosion of Mild Steel in Hydrochloric acid . Asian J. Research Chem. 2012; 5(3) : 390-396.
20. Rakesh J, Karan S, Nayana B. Corrosion Inhibition of Zinc in Hydrochloric Acid by Vanillin, Phenyl Thiourea and N-Allyl Thiourea. Asian J. Research Chem. 2014; 7(12): 1062-1064.
21. Yadav M, Kumar S, Nasar A, Kumar S. Inhibition of Corrosion of Copper by 4-Amino-3-Phenyl-5-Mercapto-1, 2, 4-Triazole in 3.5% Sodium Chloride Solution. Asian J. Research Chem. 2010; 3(4): 938-942.
22. Khaled KF. An electrochemical study for corrosion inhibition of iron by some organic phosphonium chloride derivatives in acid media.Applied Surface Science. 2004; 230(1-4):307-318
23. Vasantha Jothi R, Maheshwari P, Saratha R, Senthil Vadivu D. A study on Inhibitive action of Bauhinia racemosa Lam. Extract as Green Corrosion inhibitor for Mild steel in Hydrochloric acid medium. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(5): 611-615.
24. Tsoeunyane MG, Makhatha ME, Arotiba OA. Corrosion inhibition of mild steelby poly(butylene succinate)-L-histidine extended with 1,6-diisocynatohexanepolymer composite in 1 M HCl, International Journal of Corrosion. 2019; 2019:1-12
25. Nwabanne JT, Okafor VN. Adsorption and thermodynamics study of theinhibition of corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4 medium using Vernonia amygdaline, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 2012; 11: 885-890
26. Dagdag O, Safi Z, Hsissou R, Erramli H, El Bouchti M, Wazzan N, Guo L, Verma C, Ebenso E.E, El Harfi A. Epoxy pre-polymers as new and effective materials for corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in acidic medium: computational and experimental studies, Scientific Reports. 2019; 9:11715.
27. Alinnor IJ, Ejikeme PM. Corrosion inhibition of aluminum in acidic medium by different extracts of Ocimum gratissimum, American Chemical Science Journal. 2012; 2(4): 122-135 .
28. Alaneme KK, Olusegun SJ, Corrosion inhibition performance of lignin extract ofsunflower (Tithonia Diversifolia) on medium carbon low alloy steel immersed in HCl solution, Leonardo Journal of Sciences. 2012; 20: 59 -70.
29. Ebenso EE, Alamu H, Umoren SA, Obot IB. Inhibition of mild steel corrosion insulphuric acid using alizarin yellow dye and synergistic iodide additive, Internationanl Journal of Electrochemical Science. (2008); 3:1325 - 1339.
30. De Souza FS, Spinelli A.Caffeic acid as a green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel. Corrosion Science.2009; 51(3): 642-649.
31. Akinbulumoa O A, Odejobia O J, Odekanle E L.Thermodynamics and adsorption study of the corrosion inhibition of mildsteel byEuphorbia heterophylla L.extract in 1.5 M HCl. Results in Materials.2020; 5:100074.
32. Kushwah R, Pathak R.K. Synergistic Effect of Cl-, Br-and I- on the Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in H2SO4 by a Resorcinol: Kinetics and Thermodynamic Studies. Asian J. Research Chem. 2016; 9(7): 329-334
33. Morad MS. Inhibition of phosphoric acid corrosion of zinc by organic onium compounds and their adsorption characteristics. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry. 1999, 29:619–626.
34. Martinez S, Stern I. Thermodynamic characterization of metal dissolution and inhibitor adsorption processes in the low carbon steel/mimosa tannin/sulfuric acid system.Applied Surface Science. 2002; 199(1–4): 83-89.
35. Patrick GL, Winter HD, Langenaeker W, Tollenaere JP.x Computational Medicinal Chemistry for Drug Discovery. New York: Marcel Dekker . 2003.