Bouchareb Hadj, Benalia Mokhtar, Djedid Mebrouk, Tafer Asma, Mounir Habati, Al-Dujaili A. H.
Bouchareb Hadj1, Benalia Mokhtar1, Djedid Mebrouk1, Tafer Asma1, Mounir Habati1*, Al-Dujaili A. H.2
1Laghouat University, Laboratory of Process Engineering, Department Process Engineering, 03000, Laghouat, Algeria.
2King Saudi University, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2022
This work consisted in the preparation and the study of a new stationary phase based on liquid crystals for gas chromatography applications. Most of the synthesized compounds that have the character of liquid crystals in their constitution include aromatic molecules. In addition, there is little work that replaces this type of molecules with heterogeneous molecules that have a liquid crystalline character. This study constitutes an approach for the synthesis of a new molecule azoesters involves a 1,3,4-oxadiazole unit instead of aromatic rings, and which exhibits liquid crystalline characters. A liquid crystal has been prepared and characterized. The thermodynamic characteristics of the n-alkanes for the filled column were studied by reverse gas chromatography. The intermediate products, as well as the mesogens obtained, were characterized by various experimental analysis techniques such as infrared spectrometry (IR) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). The thermal properties of synthesized liquid crystal require the use of DSC technique. Thermodynamic parameters such as enthalpies, partial solution molar entropy and infinite dilution, were determined for the liquid crystal-solvent system. The thermodynamic quantities show that these values depend on the number of carbon atoms of the CL phase terminal substituent. The transition temperatures obtained by gas chromatography are in good agreement with those found by DSC.
Cite this article:
Bouchareb Hadj, Benalia Mokhtar, Djedid Mebrouk, Tafer Asma, Mounir Habati, Al-Dujaili A. H.. Comparative Thermal and Thermodynamic Study of Homologous series by Chromatography using Liquid Crystalline Stationary Phase. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(6):483-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00082
Bouchareb Hadj, Benalia Mokhtar, Djedid Mebrouk, Tafer Asma, Mounir Habati, Al-Dujaili A. H.. Comparative Thermal and Thermodynamic Study of Homologous series by Chromatography using Liquid Crystalline Stationary Phase. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(6):483-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00082 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-6-14
1. Djedid, M., Benalia, M., Ferkous, F., Boudaoud, A., Al-dujaili, A.H.: Study of Some Alkanes Thermodynamic Parameters Using New Liquid Crystals Containing Sulfur as Stationary Phases, Oriental Journal of Chemistry, 2015, 31, 719-731;
2. Yuksel, F., Atilla, D., Ahsen, V.: Synthesis and characterization of liquid crystalline unsymmetrically substituted phthalocyanines, Polyhedron, 2007, 26, 4551-4556;
3. Meyer, J., Benalia, M., Zentel, R., Schmidt, G.F.: X-ray investigations of linear and crosslinked Liquid Crystalline main chain and combined polymers, Liquid Crystals, 1987, 2, 651-664;
4. Sie, T.H., Lay, K.O., Siew, T.O., G, Y.Y., J, P.W., T, M.K., H, C.L.: Synthesis and mesomorphic properties of new Schiff base esters with different alkyl chains, Chinese Chemical Letters, 2009, 20, 767-770;
5. Kelker, H.: Survey of the Early History of Liquid Crystals, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 1988, 165, 1- 43;
6. Guan-Yeow, Y., Sie, T.H., Peng-Lim, B., Wan, A.M., Masato, M., Shigeki, S.: Synthesis and Characterization of Some New Mesogenic Schief Base Esters N-[4-(4-n-Hexadecanoyloxybenzoyloxy)-Benzylidene]-4-Substituted Anilines, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 2006, 452, 73-90;
7. Guan-Yeow, Y., Sie, T.H., Peng-Lim, B., Wan, A.M., Masato, M., Yamashita, Y.: Synthesis and Mesomorphic Properties of Schiff Base Esters Ortho-Hydroxy-Para-Alkyloxybenzylidene-Para-Substituted Anilines, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 2004, 423, 73-84;
8. Zhang, B.Y., Meng, F.B., Tian, M., Xiao, W.Q.: Side-chain liquid-crystalline polysiloxanes containing ionic mesogens and cholesterol ester groups, Reactive and Functional Polymers, 2006, 66, 551-558;
9. Gray, G.W.: Introductory course on liquid crystals, 15, International Liquid Crystal Conference, Budapest, 1994;
10. Zentel, R., Benalia, M.: Stress‐induced orientation in lightly crosslinked liquid‐crystalline side‐group polymers, Die Makromolekulare Chemie: Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 1987, 188, 665-674;
11. Kelker, H.: Analyse chimique, 1963, 198-255;
12. Ammar-Khodja, S., Guermouche, M., Guermouche, H., Rogalska, E., Rogalski, M., Judeinstein, R., Chromatographia, 2003, 57, 249-253;
13. Saidat, B., Guermouche, B. and Bayle, J., Chrommatographia, 2004, 60, 461-467;
14. Boudaoud, A., Djedid, M., Benalia, M., Ad, C., Elmsellem, H., Al-Dujaili, A.H.: Thermodynamic and Analytical Study at infinite dilution of Non- polarorganics solution by IGC used Schiff Base Liquid crystal as stationary phase, Journal of materials and environmental science, 2016, l, 1979-1987;
15. Emad Ghanem and Sahar Al-Hariri: Preparationand Thermodynamic Behaviourof New Nematic Sulphur-Containing Liquid Crystal, Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2013, 7, 135-141;
16. Nassira Bouzar, Mokhtar Benalia, Mebrouk Djedid and al.: Synthesis and characterization of a liquid crystal containing oxadiazole and its performance for the separation of isomers by gas chromatography, Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2016, 71, 482–489;
17. Benghia, M., Benalia, M., Djedid, M., Ad, C., Boudaoud, A., Elmsellem, H., Al-Dujaili, A.H.: Thermodynamic study by gas chromatography of a homologous Series of Alkanes Using New Synthesized Liquid Crystals as Stationary Phases, Moroccan Journal of Chemistry, 2018, 6, 203-212;
18. Tafer, A., Benalia, M., Djedid, M., Bouchareb, H., Al-Dujaili, A.H. : Synthesis of four liquid crystals and study of alkyl chain effect on the nematic range for application in GC, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 2019, 665, 10-19;
19. Y. Padmavathi, Akari Anjali, Nayaka Raghavendra Babu, P Ravi Kumar. Development and validation of new FTIR method for quantitative analysis of gliclazide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(3):377-382. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2017.00064.5
20. Ashwini. R. Patil, Prajkta. M. Ghagare, Bhavna. J. Deshmane, Manish. S. Kondawar. Review on Chromatography Principal Types and its Application. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2020; 12(1):27-32. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377.2020.00005.1
21. Chow, L.C., and Martire, D.E.: Thermodynamic study of a liquid crystal as a liquid phase in gas-liquid chromatography II. A cholesteric liquid crystal, J. Phys. Chem., 1971, 75, 2005.