Three simple and sensitive extractive spectrophotometric methods have been described for the assay of Alprazolam either in pure form or in pharmaceutical formulations. The developed methods involve formation of coloured chloroform extractable ion-pair complexes of the drug with bromothymol blue (BTB), bromophenol blue (BPB) and bromocresol green (BCG) in acidic medium. The extracted complexes showed absorbance maxima at 410, 408 and 405nm with use of the cited reagents, respectively. The stoichiometry of the complex is found to be 1:1 in each case. Beer’s law is obeyed in the concentration ranges 3.0-25, 4.0-30, and 4.5-40µg/ml with BTB, BPB and BCG respectively. The effect of concentration of dye, pH, and interference of excipients have been studied and optimized. The limits of detection and quantification have been determined for three methods. All the three methods have been validated as per the guidelines of ICH. The methods have been applied to the determination of drug in commercial tablets and results of analysis were validated statistically through recovery studies.
Cite this article:
V. Nandu, T. Veeraiah. Spectrophotometric Determination of Alprazolam in Pure and Pharmaceutical Forms using Triphenyl Methane Dyes. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(4):259-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00047
V. Nandu, T. Veeraiah. Spectrophotometric Determination of Alprazolam in Pure and Pharmaceutical Forms using Triphenyl Methane Dyes. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(4):259-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00047 Available on: https://www.ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-4-4
1. Barbee J G. Memory, benzodiazepines and anxiety: Integration of theoretical and clinical perspectives. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 1993; 54(Suppl): 86-97.
2. Ballenger J C. Psychopharmacology of the anxiety disorders The Psychiatric clinics of North America. 1984; 7(4) : 757-771.
3. Evans S M, Levin F R, Fischman M W. Increased sensitivity to alprazolam in females with a paternal history of alcoholism. Psychopharmacology. 2000; 150 (2): 150–62.
4. Greenblatt D J, Wright C E. Clinical pharmacokinetics of alprazolam - Therapeutic implications. Clinical Pharmacokinetics. 1993; 24 (6): 453–71.
5. Wang J S, DeVane C L. Pharmacokinetics and drug interactions of the sedative hypnotics. Psychopharmacol Bull. 2003; 37 (1): 10–29.
6. Monzon L M A, Yudi L M. Voltametric analysis of lipophiliciy of benzodiazepine derivatives at the water/1,2-dichloroethane interface. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. 2001; 495(2):146-151.
7. Pérez-Lozano P, Garc´ıa-Montoya E, Orriols M A, Miñarro J R, Ticó J.M, Suñé- Negre. Development and validation of a new HPLC analytical method for the determination of alprazolam in tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2004; 34:979–987.
8. Venkateswarlu K, Venisetty R K, Yellu N R, Keshetty S, Pai M G. Development of HPTLCUV absorption densitometry method or the analysis of alprazolam and sertraline in combination and its application in the evaluation of the marketed preparation, Journal of Chromatography. 2007; 45:537- 539.
9. Patil M S, Raman B. Simultaneous estimation of sertraline and alprazolam in capsules by reverse phase liquid chromatography. Indian Drugs. 2001; 38:638-641.
10. Rajan V Rele. Development of analytical method by RP-HPLC technique for determination of alprazolam in pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Pharm Tech Research. 2016;9(9):408-414.
11. Hold K, Crouch D J, Rollins D E, Wilkins D G, Canfield D, Maes R. Quantitation of alprazolam and alpha-hydroxyalprazolam in human plasma by negative-ion chemical ionization GC/MS. Journal Mass Spectrometry. 1996; 31:1033-1038.
12. Borrey D, Meyer E, Lambert W, Van Calenbergh S, Van Peteghem C, De Leenheer A P. Sensitive gas chromatographic--mass spectrometric screening of acetylated benzodiazepines. J Chromatography A, 2001;910 :105-118.
13. Liying Jin, Chyan E Lau. Determination of alprazolam and its major metabolites in serum microsamples by high-performance liquid chromatography and its application to pharmacokinetics in rats. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications. 1994; 654 (1) :77-83.
14. Mohd A, Khan A A P, Shaista B, Siddiqi K S. UV-absorption and fluorimetric methods for the determination of alprazolam in pharmaceutical formulation. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2013; 6(4) : 369-378.
15. Pérez-Lozano P, Garc´ıa-Montoya E, Orriols A, Miñarro M, JTicó J R, Suñé- Negre J M. Development and validation of a new HPLC analytical method for the determination of alprazolam in tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2004; 34:979–987.
16. Mohammad R G, Hedieh H H, Farnoush F, Parviz N, Mahnaz Q. Potentiometric Determination of Alprazolam based on Carbon Paste and PVC membrane Electrodes. International Journal Electrochemical Science, 2012; 7 :1470-1481.
17. Nela B, Gladiola T, Mihai A, Luminita A, Madalina V, Alina D P. A new bioanalytical method for the determination of alprazolam in human plasma Revista de Chimie. 2013; 64(6) :587-592.
18. Shaik Sarfaraz, Venkata Ramana Readdy Ch, Shareef K M A. Method development, validation and determination of alprazolam in its pharmaceutical dosage by 2,3-dichloro-5,6-dicyano-1,4-benzoquinone. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2014; 6(9):411-418.
19. Kiran Kumar A, Mohanakrishna A, Sudheer M, Sai Rajesh K, Ramalingam P. UV Spectrophotometric Method for the estimation of Alprazolam in Tablet Dosage Form. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2011; 3(1):161-164.
20. Sharma S, Sharma M C. Method development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for alprazolam in pharmaceutical dosage form using ferric chloride and indigo carmine. European Journal of Applied Sciences. 2011; 3(3):81-85.
21. Rajan V. Rele and Amey Deshpande. UV spectrophotometric estimation of alprazolam by area under curve and first order derivative methods in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form, Der Pharmacia Letter, 2016, 8 (5),105-110. Rajan V. Rele /International Journal of PharmTech Research, 2016, 9(9): 408-414. 414.
22. Rajan V Rele, Deshpande A. UV Spectrophotometric Estimation of Alprazolam by second and third order derivative Methods in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 8(4):272-278.
23. Ravi M, Veeraiah T and Venkata Ramana Reddy Ch. Spectrophotometric determination of ramipril in pure and pharmaceutical forms using triphenyl methane dyes. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2018; 9(4):46-51.
24. Ravi M, Veeraiah T, Venkata Ramana Reddy Ch. Spectrophotometric determination of trimetazidine using acidic triphenylmethane dyes. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Chemistry. 2018;8(3);412-421.
25. Vosburgh W C, Coopper G R. The identification of complex ions in solution by spectrophotometric measurements. Journal of American Chemical Society.1941; 63:437-442.
26. Likussar W, Boltz D F. Theory of continuous variations plots and a new method for spectrophotometric determination of extraction and formation constants. Analytical Chemistry. 1971; 43:1265-1272.
27. ICH (International Conference on Harmonization) of Technical Requirement for the Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human use, Validation of analytical procedures: definitions and Terminology Genera. 1996.